Logo

Logo

Sunday 28 February 2016

Flamenco concert: Carmen (Karmena).

Yesterday (vakar) there was a quite particular concert in Valmiera´s Culture Center, not only for me I say, as the so many public that came to the event (I don´t remember the terraces were so full in previous events) proved the attractive of the event too. There was a show about flamenco, the most popular dancing in Spain. Not only that, as the orchestra was of spanish origin! (Andalusia to be precise); the value of this visit is, of course, worth to assist it and see it.

Here we have a general shot of the members of the orchestra. All them spanish, so you could expect something authentic. And, indeed, it was.

And then here comes the flamenco dancers, making their number and showing several performances. In this case, making a play with shawl, the shawl used by flamenco dancers is a Manila shawl (mantón de manila in original language), a shawl used in other Spain´s folk dances by the female dancers. The attire in, all of the cases, was correct. I think, as I´ve got to mention, I´m spanish but not from Andalusia but from the upper north of Spain, where the flamenco it´s not so popular (and if you go to my neighbors, The Basque Country, you better don´t ask about flamenco).

But the female attire is correct. Better than some others I found in a Riga´s bar time ago, ahem.

The main musician (maybe "el maestro" of the orchestra?) playing with the tap




And the main singer leaving clearly he was spanish. I mean, because I could clearly hear him speaking correctly, well, in the correct andalusian I mean.




The "castañuelas" made an act in one of the performances...

...and the staffs too. Yes, staffs. As you use shoes to dance tap here the staffs made rhythm and melody with the coordination of the hits. I didn´t know about that the staffs are used for flamenco dancing, and actually I´m not sure that officially they are used. But hey! I´m not the professional, those were in the scenary!



And the stars waving.
Ok, I´ve got to say but I really liked the concert. I was doubtful at first about the fidelity of it and that it would fall in the kitsch style. But no, it wasn´t like that. The flamenco concert was accurate, pity of the place, however, that scenario is not the fitting one for flamenco. Flamenco is danced in a more particular area called "tablao", but that place is THE place to dance it, but obviously not every corner of Spain has it so it´s ok a theatre scenary.
People clapped and enjoyed it, I´m sure of it. As in several times the public started to clap supporting the songs and in cohesion with the melodies that were being played. Well, actually public was VERY coordinated clapping all the time. When the show finished it looked like the claps were fused altogether at once...I couldn´t see that in my country, right.
Of course, there were several pop moments. Some songs curiously had a techno-beat on it (particular but in these contemporary times it´s not rare) and others were very popular, such "Volare" from Gipsy Kings or Paco de Lucía melodies.
There was the most particular case, and less good we could say, where a french song was played while in flamenco dancing...not very fitting, really. But for the rest, it was quite interesting. I hope this spanish orchestra had a great time in Valmiera and enjoyed the time here!

No comments:

Post a Comment